Code Compliance

Littleton Code Enforcement is now Code Compliance. The mission of Code Compliance is to promote the health, safety, and welfare of the community through education, community involvement, and enforcement of ordinances. Our goal is to ensure safe, attractive neighborhoods, vibrant businesses, and a peaceful, enjoyable community for everyone.

The Code Compliance area of the Community Development Department is responsible for investigating complaints and addressing code violations.

Report a Code Violation or Submit a Request

To report non-emergency code violations 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:SeeClickFix mobile logo
For the 24/7 Short-Term Rental Compliance Hotline, call 720-310-2171 or visit the STR Hotline Tips Webform.
  • For urgent code violations or violations that are in progress Monday through Friday and during business hours, call 303-795-3758.
  • For urgent code violations in progress after hours, report to the police non-emergency number 303-794-1551.
To report any of the following violations, call the police non-emergency number 303-794-1551:
  • Animal complaints and issues including barking dogs and dogs off leash
  • Parking violations including trailers parking on streets
  • Graffiti
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Noise complaints after hours
To report any of the following violations, contact the Public Works / Streets Division at 303-795-3969:
To report any of the following violations at businesses or residences, call 303-795-3758:
  • Inoperable or illegal vehicles
  • Outdoor storage and/or rubbish
  • Sidewalk and street obstructions and hazards
  • Snow and ice on the sidewalk
  • Weeds/grass over 8 inches

  • Environmental Violations
    • Illicit discharge
    • Illegal burns
  • Fences
    • Permits
    • Fence in disrepair
    • Fences around pools
  • Garbage
    • Maintenance concerns
    • Unsanitary conditions
    • Unsafe conditions
  • Zoning Violations
    • Home occupations
    • Parking surfaces
    • Vehicle repair
    • Illegal signs 

What does Code Compliance regulate and investigate?

Littleton City Code regulates property maintenance, zoning, new construction, signage, short-term rentals, residential and commercial properties. The City of Littleton has adopted the International Codes including the International Property Maintenance Code, Building and Residential Code, and Littleton Municipal Codes. For some of the common violations, see the Code Compliance and Property Maintenance Made Easy(PDF, 802KB) brochure.

Examples of Official Violation Notices and Appeal Information

Other Common Issues and Who to Contact

Although the City of Littleton would love to help with all issues regarding private properties, many are civil issues, and the City is not able to aid at this time.

Common civil issues include locations of items such as trees or overhanging branches, fences and walls between private properties, or video cameras directed at private properties.

If your're not sure if a matter is civil or regulated by the city, county, state or federal regulations, please contact Code Compliance by phone 303-795-3758, by email, or by using SeeClickFix to submit your concern either Anonymously or by creating an account that allows you to check on the process and have continuous communication with the City. 

Environmental Crimes & Violations

Dumpingtruck driving by illegal dumping

Dumping is illegal in the City of Littleton. It is unlawful for any person to deposit any trash, garbage, litter or other refuse on any property owned by another or in any trash container or dumpster owner by another. If this activity is observed and a vehicle is involved, it is important to get the license plate number. To report illegal dumping with suspect information please call the police non-emergency line at 303-794-1551.

Illicit Discharge

Discharging into the sanitary sewer is illegal and can damage sewer equipment leading to significant financial consequences. If you witness any interference with the sanitary sewer system please call the public works department at 303-795-3863.

Discharging any substance or solid matter into the storm water drain without a valid permit is illegal. Many of the storm water drains within the city drain to the South Platte River. Discharged substances can greatly damage fish and other wildlife negatively affecting us all. To report an illicit discharge please call 303-795-3865. Check here for additional information.

Illicit Burns

Did you know that burning any trash or garbage within city limits is not permitted? The city also observes the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment’s no burn days. For more information see the CPDHE Website. To report an illicit burn, please call  303-795-3758.

Properties in Foreclosure or Abandoned Properties

Foreclosed Properties

abandoned or foreclosed property

The city has no role in the foreclosure process, which is an action by a lender to reclaim property for which payment has not been received. The process is a civil matter between the property owner and the lien holder. This process takes time because certain legal requirements established by state law must be met before the lien holder can take possession of the property.

The city will enforce the same property maintenance codes on properties in foreclosure as with all other properties in the city. This means that the properties must be maintained free of weeds and rubbish and be secured. City code specialists will post properties with a notice to cut or clean-up a property that is not in compliance. If the posting order is not met, the city will contract for the work to be done and lien the property for the cost, plus 40 percent.

Arapahoe County, Jefferson County and Douglas County keep records of the foreclosure process and proceedings. These are available to the general public at the counties' web sites. If you have questions related to the foreclosure of a specific property, visit the appropriate county web site.

Abandoned Properties

Abandoned properties have the potential to become dangerous, unfit for habitation, and overgrown. The city will take action to ensure the building does not become a danger to the public including securing utilities, closing and securing vacant structures, and identifying if structural damage is present. If you’re concerned a property has been abandoned please call 303-795-3758 for more information. 

Housing Inspections and Common Violations

Housing inspections are performed under the guidance of the International Property Maintenance Code and other codes as adopted by the City of Littleton. The owner(s) of the property will be responsible for the correction of all violations as required by the city.

The International Codes, including the International Property Maintenance Code can be purchased by contacting the International Code Council. Littleton codes can be accessed from the Municipal Codes site.

See the list of common violations in the accordion below.

Commonly-Found Housing Violations

Commonly-Found Housing Violations

Updated February 2019
The following list is not intended to be complete or all inclusive. It should be used as a guide to ensure your property is in good repair.


  • Appliances missing, inoperable or improperly installed
  • Missing or inoperable TPR overflow valve or pipe on water heater
  • Appliance venting damaged or missing
  • Damaged baseboard heat radiator

Doors and Windows

  • Improperly installed or operating security devices (locks, deadbolts and window locks)
  • Holes in doors, screens and broken or missing glass
  • Improperly installed or operating doors and windows

Egress (Exit Pathways)

  • Blocked exits - bars on windows
  • Lack of proper egress or obstructed egress


  • Loose, frayed, broken or exposed electrical wires
  • Improperly installed outlets or switches (reverse polarity or non-grounded)
  • Missing or broken outlet/receptacle or switch covers
  • Missing breaker blanks in breaker panel
  • Missing or damaged light fixture covers


  • Blocked exits (including common areas)
  • Improperly stored flammable materials
  • Excessive accumulation of debris
  • Missing, inoperable, improperly installed or improperly located smoke detectors
  • Inoperable or missing carbon monoxide detectors
  • Missing, inoperable fire exit signs or lighting
  • Damaged or missing fire rated doors, holes in walls or ceilings
  • Storage in furnace/water heater closets, laundry rooms or boiler rooms

Walking surfaces

  • Tripping hazards (including carpeting, doorways, sidewalks)
  • Flooring rotted, weak ( movement under load, damaged or missing sub-floor)
  • Excessive wear and tear in flooring
  • Floor covering contaminated by water


  • Leaking pipes
  • Improperly installed or improperly repaired plumbing
  • Missing or damaged caulk at toilet, sink or tub
  • Missing tiles or damaged shower walls
  • Prohibited flex drain pipes
  • Lack of water shut off valves


  • Holes in the walls, ceilings or floors
  • Roof leaks
  • Peeling paint
  • Mold on walls/ceilings


  • Loose or missing handrails
  • Infestation of insects or rodents
  • Sharp or jagged, rusty surfaces and/or edges that pose a hazard
  • Structural damage
  • Poor housekeeping — odor, garbage and poor sanitation
  • No water, electric and/or gas services
  • No heat
  • Gas and/or water leaks
  • Availability of hot water


Note: Court summons may be issued at any time during the inspection process due to noncompliance, failure to make sufficient progress, a serious violation, or if the owner is uncooperative. If access is not granted, a right-of-entry warrant will be obtained by the city official. Failure to make required repairs may result in the city abating, vacating or demolishing dangerous buildings or units. The cost of such action will be the responsibility of the owner of the property and may become a lien on the property. Tenants are required to keep units clean, sanitary and free of clutter and to report defects to the property owner or manager in a timely manner.