Inspections are the final steps in various phases of your project as it moves toward completion. Before you begin each new phase, you must have an approval on all required inspections for the portion of the work recently completed. An inspection is approved when the city inspector has shown a status of "approved" or "partial inspection only", whichever is applicable. Inspections must be marked "approved" to move forward to final. Each inspection status can be found within your permit by logging into your eTRAKiT account.
The eTRAKiT portal is the required method to schedule a building inspection.
Once the permit is issued, inspections can be scheduled. Requests for inspections can be submitted until 11:59 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please review inspection requirements before scheduling inspections; failure to meet all the requirements will result in a failed or cancelled inspection and an inspection fee may be applied. A confirmation date of the inspection will be stated. Please note, inspections are generally scheduled for the next business day, however during peak times of activity, inspection schedules may be booked a few business days out.
Inspections are requested when different phases of construction are completed. For example, if you are requesting a rough plumbing inspection, all the piping for the waste and vents, water pipe and gas piping must be installed and tested. The rough plumbing, rough electric and rough heating must be inspected and approved before a rough framing inspection is requested.
Inspections serve three main purposes:
- To assure that the work meets minimum code requirements.
- To verify the actual work is being completed as shown on the city-approved plans.
- To provide a complete record of approved inspections. This can provide a feeling of security and can assist in qualifying homeowners for particular insurance coverage and other benefits. It can also come in handy if the property transfers ownership and past work is being verified.
- The owner (if the homeowner applied for the permit) or contractor is responsible for requesting inspections in advance.
- Inspections schedule by 11:59 p.m., Monday - Friday, will be scheduled for the next business day. For instance, an inspection requested at 5:00 AM, Tuesday will be scheduled for Wednesday.
- Our hours of operation are 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
It is the owner's responsibility to have all animals under control. If dogs, or other animals, are loose in the yard or home, the inspection may not be made. Indoor inspections will not be performed if an adult is not present. A reinspection fee could be charged.
*** Inspectors will not enter rear or fenced yards without permission. If permission is not provided an inspection will not be performed. Inspectors will not enter unoccupied residences or residences where an adult (18+ years of age) person is not present.
***FOR ROOFING INSPECTIONS – A ladder rated for a 250 pound capacity or more must be provided, set and secured for all roofs. The roof must be free of rain, frost, ice and snow on the scheduled day of inspection. If any of these requirements are not met the inspection may not be performed.