The Public Works Department is comprised of seven divisions: Administration, Engineering, Traffic, Street Maintenance, Grounds Maintenance, Facilities Maintenance and Fleet Maintenance.
These divisions are responsible for design, construction, inspection, and preventative maintenance of the roads, traffic systems, public buildings and landscape areas within the city. Additionally, the staff is responsible for infrastructure planning in the community and construction inspection of projects proposed by the private sector. The department manages the following public improvement activities:
- Street lighting
- Planting flowers
- Community vegetable gardens
- Main Street holiday lighting display
- Sanitary sewer system management
- Storm drainage improvements and maintenance
- City open space areas, coordinating with South Suburban Parks and Recreation
- Street sweeping, pothole-patching, snow/ice control, concrete installation and repairs, street maintenance
- Traffic signals management and maintenance, school flashers, electronic speed signs, crosswalks, more than 8,000 traffic signs
- Works closely with numerous city organizations including: Western Welcome Week, downtown merchants, homeowner associations, etc.
- Maintenance, repair and safety of more than 30 city-owned facilities