Obtain Business License and Permits

Anyone planning to open a new business or relocate a business in the City of Littleton is encouraged to contact the Economic Development & Business Services Department:

Economic Development

Business Start Up Government Compliance(PDF, 316KB)

Before you open your business, make sure you're in compliance with all government requirements.


The City of Littleton requires all businesses within the city limits to apply for a Business & Sales/Use Tax License.

Business owners may have to apply for a Building Permit or go through a Development Review Process through Community Development for rehabilitation of existing structure or construction of a new facility.


City of Littleton Government

Business Licensing — All businesses, whether or not they sell tangible property, must complete the required form provided by the Littleton Sales Tax Division. For more information call 303-795-3768.

Zoning — Before you engage in business, be sure to contact the Zoning Division to determine the regulations. For more information call 303-795-3752.

Sign Code — Before you add signage, be sure to review the sign code regulations and contact the Sign Code Division. For more information call 303-795-3748.

Building & Inspections — (structural, electrical or plumbing) — If you plan to make any changes inside or outside a building, you need to contact Littleton Building & Development Services to determine any permit requirements. For more information call 303-795-3751.

Liquor Licensing — If you intend to sell beer, wine, or liquor, obtain a liquor or beer license from the City Clerk's Office. For more information call 303-795-3780.

Find a Location — Contact the Economic Development Department for a list of available sites at 303-734-8094

South Platte Water Renewal Partners — Before you turn on your tap or pour something down the drain, know what is required. Call 303-762-2600.

Arapahoe/Douglas/Jefferson County Government

If the business you're planning affects the environment or the health and well-being of the public (e.g. restaurants, grocery stores, child care facilities, and body art establishments) you need to contact the County Health Department that has jurisdiction in the area in which you plan to locate. Most businesses within the city of Littleton (city limits map) operate within Arapahoe County. If you're unsure about which county has jurisdiction, contact the City of Littleton Economic Development & Business Services Department at 303-795-3749.

Tri-County Health Department (Adams, Arapahoe & Douglas Counties), 303-220-9200

Jefferson County Health Department (Jefferson County), 303-271-5700

Real and personal property is taxable in Colorado unless specifically exempted by law. Real property includes land, buildings, and fixtures that are physically incorporated into a building or affixed to land (HVAC, lighting, plumbing, etc.). Real property also includes possessory interests, which are private property interests or the right to the occupancy and use of an otherwise tax-exempt property. Businesses need to provide the county assessor with a list of commercial personal property used in the commerce of the business.

Arapahoe County Assessor's Office - 303-795-4600

Douglas County Assessor's Office - 303-660-7450

Jefferson County Assessor's Office - 303-271-8600

State Government

All businesses must register with the Colorado Secretary of State. You can find step-by-step instructions under Starting a Business in Colorado. For telephone inquiries call 303-894-2200.

Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies to determine if your industry is among those that requires state oversight: 303-894-7855.

Colorado Department of Labor & Employment (Unemployment Insurance). to receive an unemployment account number, you may register your business through Colorado Business Express303-318-9100.

Colorado Department of Revenue - Wage Withholding & Payroll Tax for information on wage withholding or sales tax account. 303-866-4622.

Federal Government

Business owners are required to comply with various federal regulations. For telephone inquiries call the Denver IRS office at 303-446-1675.

Self-Employment Tax (SE tax) is a social security and Medicare tax primarily for individuals who work for themselves. It is similar to the social security and Medicare taxes withheld from the pay of most wage earners and is computed using Schedule SE (Form 1040).

Employer Identification Number (EIN) - An EIN is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number. It is used to identify a business for tax purposes. Most businesses need an EIN. This is a free service offered by the IRS.

Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA) - The Federal Unemployment Tax Act (or FUTA, I.R.C.) is a United States federal law that imposes a federal employer tax used to help fund state workforce agencies. Employers report this tax by filing an annual Form 940 with the Internal Revenue Service. In some cases, the employer is required to pay the tax in installments during the tax year.

FUTA covers a federal share of the costs of administering the unemployment insurance (UI) and job service programs in every state. In addition, FUTA pays one-half of the cost of extended unemployment benefits (during periods of high unemployment) and provides for a fund from which states may borrow, if necessary, to pay benefits.

Employment Information

US Department of Labor (DOL) — For information related to federal labor laws contact the US Department of Labor call 1-866-4-USA-DOL (1-866-487-2365).

Federal Minimum Wage Information — 1-866-487-2365

Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA) — 303-446-1675 Denver IRS Office

Colorado Department of Labor & Employment (CDLE) — For information related to state labor laws contact the Colorado Department of Labor & Employment call 303-318-9000.

State of Colorado Minimum Wage Information — 303-318-8441

State Unemployment Insurance Information — 303-318-9100 or 1-800-480-8299

Workers' Compensation Insurance — 303-318-8700